A silk eye mask is an essential accessory for anyone looking for deeper, more restful sleep at home or on the go. Using a silk sleep mask can block unwanted light to help regulate your sleep rhythm without the troublesome side effects of melatonin or other sleep aids. It also works to reduce puffy eyes and dry eyes while keeping the sensitive skin around your eyes moisturized and protected from allergens. And if all that isn't enough, it's a stylish sleep-time accessory loaded with Hollywood glamour Hollywood (Audrey Hepburn, anyone?).
But choosing the best silk sleep mask can be a little confusing. There are a lot of products out on the market, some of questionable quality. The experts at Mulberry Park Silks are here to provide the guidance you need to get the best silk sleep mask for your money,
Why Should You Use A Silk Sleep Mask?
Silk is, quite simply, the most luxurious fabric in the world. And it feels absolutely fabulous against your face. But a silk sleep mask is more than just beautiful to look at and touch. Pure silk is a protein-based fiber that's hypoallergenic; naturally resistant to mold and mites; and moisturizing. Other fabrics -- especially a cotton mask (which can dry out delicate skin) or a petroleum-based satin mask -- can't compare. Learn more about how a pure silk sleep mask can help you get better sleep while boosting your beauty routine here.
What Should You Look for In a Silk Sleep Mask?
Shopping for a silk sleep mask can be tricky, particularly online. At Mulberry Park Silks, we're committed to helping our clients learn everything they need to know to get the best value when purchasing silk pillowcases, sheets, bedding, and accessories. We've put together this helpful buyer's guide with seven suggestions to follow when you're shopping for silk sleep masks:
- Buy a mask made 100% pure mulberry silk of the highest grade. Mulberry silk fibers are widely considered the finest on Earth; they are of superior quality, softness, and durability. Silk is also graded by both letter and number, with Grade 6A being the highest and finest quality. Some manufacturers will claim that their eye mask is "silk" when in reality it is made of polyester-based satin, or a blend of satin and lower-quality silk. Pure silk will always be labelled; if it isn't, don't buy the eye mask. All Mulberry Park Silks sleep masks are made from 100% mulberry silk, Grade 6A
- Weave and weight also matter. For ultimate smoothness and comfort, choose an eye mask made in a charmeuse weave for the traditional smooth, silky feel. Silk also comes in various weights, known as momme. A higher momme number means a denser weave and thicker individual strands of silk are used for a softer, more luxurious feel. At Mulberry Park Silks, our sleep masks come in 22 momme weight charmeuse, the same fabric used for our signature silk sheets, to pamper tired eyes.
- Sleep mask size is very important. The point of a sleep mask is to block light so that you can regulate your circadian rhythm and get a good night's sleep, or tune out the stimulation of the day to grab a power nap. (Think of your sleeping mask as a blackout curtain for your eyes!). Size is not something to be skimped on, so look for ample measurements. Our silk mask measures a generous 7.75 x 3.5 inches (3 inches at nose bridge) for full coverage.
- A contoured mask shape is most versatile. A quick online search will yield some strangely shaped sleep masks, including some that look like rectangles with a triangle notch cut out for the nose. Faces come in all sizes and shapes, and a sleep mask should be able to accommodate all of these. A Mulberry Park Silks sleep silk mask is gently contoured to fit comfortably on differently shaped faces and features.
- Look for a secure and comfortable strap. Nobody wants to be woken out of a deep sleep because the strap on their sleep mask is uncomfortable! Look for a strap that holds the mask securely in place while being soft and comfortable. Our silk sleep mask comes with a silk-covered stretchable elastic strap that keeps the mask in place but won't pull, tug, or tear at hair.
- Buy safe, environmentally-friendly silk. While silk is a natural fiber, not all silk products are manufactured the same. Look for a silk mask that is certified safe and environmentally friendly through independent, third-party testing. We can't stress enough how important this is, particularly as you will be using the mask against your skin. All of our silk products are OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 certified to be free from any harmful chemicals or toxins through every phase of production. Learn morehere.
- Get a washable silk sleep mask. One of the wonderful things about silk is that it can be easy to care for. A silk sleep mask can be hand washed in lukewarm water using a gentle silk wash. We recommend Heritage Park Luxury Silk and Wool Detergent, which is specially formulated to clean while preserving the beauty and integrity of protein-based fibers. Our silk masks can easily be hand washed and laid flat on a towel to dry.
How Much Should I Pay for a Silk Sleep Mask?
Knowing what to pay for a silk sleep mask comes down to understanding two things:
- You will pay a bit more for genuine, high-quality silk (this is true whether you're buying a silk sleep mask, silk sheets, or even silk clothing!)
- You should never overpay (our silk sleep mask retails for $40)
With that in mind, look at the price points of various silk sleep masks in relation to the seven factors listed above. You may find a mask for what appears to be a bargain price, but upon closer investigation, realize that it is not made from pure silk, or perhaps isn't silk at all. Conversely, you may see a silk sleep mask at a higher price point and, upon reading the details, discover that it is not a good value.
A reputable silk bedding and accessory company will always disclose the information you need to determine whether an item is fairly priced. At Mulberry Park Silks, we pride ourselves on transparency and integrity; as we did here today, we will always tell you exactly what goes into the pricing of our fine items. We are happy to answer questions and even to send you a complimentary swatch sample to evaluate prior to purchase. Our company is headquartered in Branford, Connecticut, and we can easily be contacted by telephone or email. You can also check out our blog to learn more about silk!
Mulberry Park Silks: Accessible and Affordable Luxury
At Mulberry Park Silks, we design and sell the highest quality silk items in the market at fair and affordable prices. We offer a full range of silk products made from 100% pure Grade 6A mulberry silk fabric. All the silk fabric used for our sheets and pillowcases are OEKO-TEX Certified (Standard 100) to be free of chemicals. Please connect with us by visiting our store or call us at (800) 860-1924 to learn more about our silk sheets, pillowcases, duvet covers and shams, and accessories, including sleep masks, eye pillows, travel pillows, and hair scrunchies.