A silk pillowcase makes a thoughtful and practical gift for a sleep-deprived new mother. This article discusses all the unique health, wellness, and recovery benefits silk delivers to postpartum moms.
Lots of new moms get the advice to “Sleep when the baby sleeps.” Sounds like a great plan! But anyone who’s ever had a baby knows that it’s far easier said than done. Newborn babies eat, on average, at two-hour intervals for the first couple of months. Add to that diaper changing, soothing the baby back to sleep, grabbing the occasional shower, and eating to keep their own energy up, and there’s precious little time for a mom (or dad) to get any significant shut-eye. (Not to mention the many tasks involved in caring for older children and keeping a household running).
A Silk Pillowcase for Postpartum Sleep, Health, and WellnessMulberry Park Silks pillowcase is such a special gift for a new mother: it promotes good sleep and delivers unique health, wellness, and beauty benefits at this special time.
Comfort:A pure mulberry silk pillowcase in a smooth charmeuse weave is soft, comfortable, and the very definition of luxury. Truly, there is nothing like laying your head down on silk.
Purity:A high-quality silk pillowcase, like the ones we produce at Mulberry Park Silks, is naturally hypoallergenic and pure. It resists allergens, mold, and dust mites, making a hygienic environment that fosters quality rest and pampers sensitive skin.
Hydration: Silk contains amino acids and natural proteins that keep hair and skin naturally hydrated. It is all too easy for a postpartum mom to become dehydrated, particularly if she is breastfeeding her baby. Along with drinking plenty of water, sleeping on a silk pillowcase helps preserve natural moisture in hair and skin (unlike cotton pillowcases, which are absorbent and pull moisture away from hair).
Hair regrowth:The postpartum period can be hard on hair. During pregnancy, the body slows down the natural shedding of hair (that’s why many pregnant women report having lustrous hair, skin, and nails). After delivery, the body makes up for lost time by shedding all the hair it didn’t lose during pregnancy. Many postpartum women report losing quite a bit of hair (this is normal) and noticing fine, delicate regrowth (also normal). A silk pillowcase protects that new hair by preventing breakage and encouraging healthy regrowth. And unlike cotton pillowcases, which contain tiny fibers that can pull and tear at hair, silk is a gentle, smooth, and nourishing surface that fosters and promotes regrowth. Read more about silk and postpartum hair loss here.
Temperature regulation: Silk is a breathable fiber that naturally regulates temperature to keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. This is especially important during the postpartum period, when many people experience night sweats. These are totally normal and a response to the declining hormone levels after delivery. A silk pillowcase helps minimize the discomfort from hormone-based night sweats to make them less disruptive to sleep.
Beauty benefits: A silk pillowcase delivers a great night of beauty sleep. The smooth texture of our silk pillowcases reduce friction to minimize sleep wrinkles and fine lines; prevent hair breakage; and tame bedhead and frizz (especially important for curly hair or frizzy hair).
Choose a Mulberry Park Silks Pillowcase for the New Mom in Your Life
A quick online search reveals many silk and “silky” pillowcases out there. Mulberry Park Silks is committed to producing the best silk bedding and accessories in the market; selling them at fair prices; and being entirely transparent about why our silk pillowcases are truly the best silk pillowcase for your money.
- All of our silk products are pure mulberry silk of the highest quality, Grade 6A.
- Our products are genuine silk, not artificial satin or an inferior blend. (Read about how to tell the difference between real silk and a synthetic satin pillowcase here). Only genuine silk is breathable, hypoallergenic, and hydrating.
- We’ve taken the extra step of having our silk certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® as independently tested and found to be safe from harmful substances and toxins. You will see the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® logo on our site and the label on our products. Learn more about OEKO-TEX® certification for textiles here.
- Our silk pillowcases come in a wide range of colors, sizes, momme weights, and price points. You can learn more about how to choose the ideal momme count pillowcase for your needs and budget here.
- Mulberry Park Silks also offers a complete range of silk sheets to complement and coordinate with our silk pillowcases; pure silk accessories (we recommend checking out our silk sleep masks to pair with a silk pillowcase); and baby and toddler silk bedding so that even the precious little ones can benefit from the purity and comfort of silk.
- Our silk is easy to care for (see below).
- We are a US-based company, with offices and warehouse headquartered in Branford, CT. That means we are here and available to answer questions and offer recommendations. We can even send you complimentary silk fabric swatches to review at home before you purchase.
Mulberry Park Silks Pillowcases are Machine Washable
New parents don’t need any extra work in their lives! That’s why we’re so happy to remind you that our silk pillowcases can be easily washed right at home in the washing machine (or by hand if you prefer). We recommend a gentle cycle, using a mesh laundry bag, and an enzyme-free detergent like Heritage Park Silk and Wool detergent. Check out these easy-care washing instructions here.