At Mulberry Park Silks, we love hearing about how our silk sheets and pillowcases have improved our clients' lives. We frequently receive feedback on how great their hair and skin looks, and how wonderful they feel sleeping on silk, and it's enormously gratifying. Sometimes a story is just so special we need to share it.
Kay's Story: Caring for Her 98-Year-Old Father
Kay F., from Oregon has slept on silk pillowcases for years, and routinely gets compliments on her skin. But as a healthcare professional who is now a full-time caregiver for the most important elderly patient of all -- her father -- Kay says the benefits of silk have taken on a whole new meaning.
Kay believes that sleeping on silk sheets have greatly improved her father's skin, mobility, and overall health. "With the silk sheets, I've noticed an improvement in his skin," she said. "He had layers of really dry skin on his heel and that went away."
Never settle for anything less than pure mulberry silk for your loved one. As Kay says, "Satin is not good. It doesn't breathe, and is way too slippery, making it a fall risk."
Kay also notes that smooth silk sheets provided pressure relief that helped heal her father's developing pressure ulcers and prevented new bed sores from happening. Silk also makes it easier for him to move with less assistance. "What I like about the silk is it's smooth but not slippery," she adds. "He can do his exercises easier without the friction. It's been amazing because it's helped his quality of life"
Kay also reports that silk sheets help her father sleep more comfortably. He is a World War II veteran, and struggles with neuropathy that makes his feet feel cold. Silk sheets are naturally temperature regulating and hypoallergenic. "He says he's able to sleep better and is not coughing quite as much," she adds.
To respect Kay's privacy this is not an actual picture of her and her father
Understanding the Benefits of Silk
Kay's experience comes as no surprise to our team at Mulberry Park Silks. We know firsthand how fabulous silk can be for everyone, especially older adults. Silk is a protein-based fiber, with unique properties that contribute to comfort and healing:
- Silk contains fibroin, a protein that keeps hair and skin well-moisturized. In contrast, cotton sheets wick away precious moisture from skin and contribute to drying.
- Silk bedding is smooth and friction-free, making it gentle on skin without being "slippery."
- Silk bed sheets are naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to mold and dust mites.
- Silk is non-irritating to skin. All Mulberry Park Silks products are Oeko-Tex® Standard 100 Certified to be free from harmful chemicals, toxins and irritants.
- Silk is breathable, moisture wicking, and temperature regulating. This makes silk the ideal fabric for all temperatures, keeping you warm in the winter and cool in the summer while improving sleep quality year round.