Silk Bedding: Hypoallergenic for Wellness and Comfort
When it comes to luxury sheets and bedding, nothing compares to the beauty and indulgent feel of silk. And that’s been true for thousands of years; silk has a truly awe-inspiring history ( read a little bit about it here ). But there’s so much more high-quality silk bedding than its (admittedly impressive) look and feel. Silk is a natural fabric that delivers unique beauty benefits to hair and skin and—perhaps most importantly—promotes wellness and comfort because it is hypoallergenic.
A Look at Silk’s Hypoallergenic Properties
So what exactly makes silk hypoallergenic? Mulberry Park Silks is here with answers you need. We’ll take a look at the reasons why silk is a great choice for hypoallergenic bed sheets. We'll also explore some anti-allergenic benefits that make silk the perfect choice for a restful night of beauty sleep.
- Silk is a Natural, Protective Fiber. Mulberry silk is a natural fiber harvested from the Bombyx mori silkworm cocoon. This process ensures that raw silk is free from synthetic chemicals or artificial additives, making it an ideal choice for individuals with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Silk is Mostly Protein: The main structural component of silk (up to 80%) is fibroin, a protein composed of long, chain-like molecules known as polypeptides. These polypeptides are made of repeating amino acid sequences, which provide the strength, luster, sheen, breathability, and hypoallergenic properties silk fabric is known for. The high fibroin content means the surface of a silk sheet will naturally repel bacteria, germs, and other irritants (see #3 and #4 below).
- Natural Resistance to Dust Mites Dust mites are a common allergen present in many homes and—unfortunately—they thrive in bedding materials like cotton. However, silk's smooth surface and antimicrobial properties make it difficult for dust mites to inhabit silk sheets. As a result, silk bedding can limit dust mites in your sleeping environment , reducing the risk of allergic reactions for those prone to dust mite allergies. Anyone with dust allergies should at minimum think about using a silk pillowcase.
- Mold and Mildew Repellent Mold and mildew are other nuisances that can trigger allergic reactions in some individuals. Mold grows in damp, warm conditions. Silk's chemical structure wicks away moisture and regulates temperature, while the fibroin coating makes an inhospitable environment for mold and mildew growth. By choosing silk sheets, you can enjoy a hypoallergenic sleep experience with minimal exposure to these allergens.
- Non-Irritating to Skin. The protective qualities of silk fiber make it gentle enough for even the most delicate skin. The unique combination of amino acids in silk are soothing to skin while also helping skin retain its natural moisture. This is essential to minimizing skin irritation and inflammation. That’s why dermatologists recommend sleeping on silk for patients with acne, eczema, psoriasis, or other skin conditions. Silk is gentle enough even for babies and can help prevent common newborn skin issues like dermatitis and cradle cap.
- Silk is Breathable and Temperature Regulatin g. The natural airflow of breathable silk helps prevent the buildup of moisture, which attracts allergens and leads to discomfort. sheets naturally adapt to regulate body temperature, keeping you cool in hot weather and warm when it’s cold. Silk also wicks away moisture to keep you dry and comfortable (unlike cotton sheets, which absorb moisture and remain wet).
- Mulberry Park Silks Bedding: Independently Certified as Safe. At Mulberry Park Silks we produce pillowcases, sheets, bedding and accessories made from 100 percent pure mulberry silk of the finest quality (Grade 6A). But we’ve gone a step further by having our sheets certified STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX®. This rigorous, independent certification means that the silk fabric used in our sheets has been independently tested and deemed safe from more than 400 chemicals. Look for the STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX® logo and label on our products and learn more about this process here .
Mulberry Park Silks sheets are a wonderful way to allergy-proof your bedroom while enjoying the luxury and feel of pure silk charmeuse . Choose from pillowcases, sheets, duvet covers and shams in three silk weights--including 19, 22, and 30 momme—and a range of designer shades from subtle to bold. Along with helping tame indoor allergies, our silk sheets are also easy to care; they can be machine washed at home following these simple guidelines.